Wednesday, April 02, 2008




‘Papas’ is probably the best fish & chip
restaurant in my home town of Folkestone,
England. My family and I often eat there.
This poem, suitably framed, hangs on a wall
above my favourite chair.
And the answer to the question you'll find
on the last line, is... YES!

Papas.
.
At Papas I have my weekly date
with cod and chips cooked while I wait.
.
Deliciously golden, served piping hot,
I don’t hang about; I demolish the lot.
.
Including a roll and a cup of tea,
an ‘Oldie’s Special’ is ample for me.
.
Careful! A medium-size cod overlaps the plate.
It’s proportions you may underestimate.
.
And the jumbo-size, a fish supreme,
requires a large platter and a two-girl team!
.
The cheerful ladies at Papas; full of grace,
are patient and helpful - a credit to the place.
.
To one and all, don’t hesitate.
At Papas, there’s meal you’ll appreciate.
.
To eat here often I made a vow…
which is why I’m a regular now.
.
But as I age and my pension gets thinner…
Will this poem earn me a free dinner?
.
End …. Joe Thomas.
A member of Shepway Writers (Folkestone).

No comments: